It is expected that the IN2ZONE’s next generation transition zone solution will:
Specific expected impacts of the project results are:
- Reduce transition zone related delays by 20%
- Reduce maintenance costs of transition zones by 20%
- Improve transition zone operational life by 25%
Such impacts will be demonstrated by the cost/benefit analyses carried out for the different operational environments considered.
- Reduction in service affecting delays due to fewer track geometry defects and associated rail failures
- Reduction in noise and vibration at the transition locations, due to provision of a sustained, smooth transfer between areas of differing support stiffness;
- Lower lifecycle cost owing to a reduction in maintenance and extended operational life of the track and associated assets.
The targeted stakeholders are identified in the following diagram: